STOP Putting Gravel At The Bottom Of Your Pots! | diy grave decoration ideas | 55designers.com

Beautiful bedroom concrete wall decoration design ideas 2020
Beautiful bedroom concrete wall decoration design ideas 2020 | basement wall decor ideas | 55designers.com
July 27, 2022
4 IDEAS PARA DECORAR TU MESA EN NAVIDAD / Manualidades Navideñas / Ideas Elegantes para decorar | ideas de como decorar el arbol de navidad elegante | 55designers.com
July 27, 2022
STOP Putting Gravel At The Bottom Of Your Pots!

epic gardening,container gardening,container gardening ideas,gravel,garden,drainage,container drainage,container garden tips,container gardening vegetables,container gardening for beginners,container garden,garden ideas,gardening for beginners

#STOP #Putting #Gravel #Bottom #Pots
One of the most common container gardening myths is the use of gravel at the bottom of a pot to improve drainage. Not only is this pointless…it has the OPPOSITE effect! Instead, use high-quality potting soil, learn how to actually water your plants, and make sure you choose the right container.

SUPPORT EPIC GARDENING

→ TikTok:
→ Discord Server:
→ FB Group:
→ Pinterest:
→ Twitter:

DISCLAIMER

Epic Gardening occasionally links to goods or services offered by vendors to help you find the best products to care for plants. Some of these may be affiliate links, meaning we earn a small commission if items are purchased. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. More info on our process:
diy grave decoration ideas

1. Thoughts about using gravel at the bottom of a pot with no hole to create a drainage reservoir? Obv, drainage holes are better, but when you have a large indoor pot that you can't move, what's the solution?

2. desTROYer74 says:

Why don’t you actually just prove this by using 2 see-through pots?🤷🏻‍♂️

3. Dana says:

Can i mix LECA balls with red clay soil ? I want my pots to be lighter wight

4. Fae says:

So wait, I haven't ever done this bc I have the issue of underwatering plants rather than overwatering but actually this would make my soil retain water longer?

5. Sean Digger says:

I put stuff in the bottom so my soil doesn't come pouring out every time I water. That's all. Likke putting the screen in yer bonsai pot.

6. Video summary: don't use rocks to keep the drainage hole unclogged, instead buy my top quality sponsored dirt, link in bio 👍😂

7. Cbb Cbb says:

Maybe gravel could be useful for people who under water?

8. Nope need gravel in my pots so my Fat cats stop tipping them over… they don't eat the plants…. just knock over my pots… I think the arseholes think its funny, though mine are plastic.. maybe i should go to terra cotta instead

9. Yaroslav N says:

I use gravel to weigh the pot down so they aren't top heavy

10. Scott2781 says:

Never done any harm

11. milanetc says:

I put gravel in the bottom as I don't want soil coming out of the drainage holes.

12. Denial Perky says:

man just drew a leprechaun's top hat 1:47

13. John Liberty says:

Gravel has a purpose, if you grow a top heavy tree that doesn't have a large root base you gravel the bottom to keep it from tipping over. I actually just put in one big rock. If I want to avoid overwatering I use my own homemade biochar.

14. Back in the day, this was a practice to prevent the loss of soil through the drainage holes. Years ago potting soil was not as nice as it is today. As time passed, gravel in the bottom became a mindless habit. It was taught to the younger generations. I never heard that it improved drainage. It just helped prevent a mess on the table.

15. Sponges wick moisture and dry fast, they wouldn't be better than a normal saucer for holding moisture.

16. Pedro S says:

Use charcoal at the bottom instead

17. I do this trick, but I have always used to maintain moisture of soil, not to improve drainage

18. Timpfe says:

this video is so dumb

19. Evan says:

Can I just mix sand from the beach into my soil to make "well draining" soil?

20. z prince says:

Dude I actually had fungus knats living under my plants because of the open air space from putting lava stones at the bottoms of my houseplants…
    I spent months trying to eradicate the knats to no avail until one day when I tried to re-pot a plant and I noticed them practically swarming out of the drainage holes it was so bad that when I removed the root ball I could see hundreds of larvae at the base and I was barely watering it… I then re-potted everything and didn't have a big issue with them again.

21. Those big huge pots I've helped put old water bottles in the bottom not necessarily for drainage just to make the pot lighter so it could be more easily moved

22. Asif Iqbal says:

I think creating saturated soil layer little above from the pot bottom would be more beneficial for plant health. In this way, gravel would be more helpful to hold water at upper level…

23. SWFCite 1981 says:

I put concrete slabs at the bottom of mine not for drainage but to stop the local chavs robbing them.

24. joythornz says:

I have been putting small gravel like the size of perlite on my pots for years and have plants grown and multiply without any issue. It works for me and if ain't broke, will not change or fix it. 😉

25. makita says:

Isn’t saturation the point when you water your plants..? So what’s the harm if the water drops after saturation..? Sounds kind of moot to me.

26. Karen Bee says:

I get so excited for Epic Gardening. You know your stuff, man. Plus I like the sponsors.

A lot of soil gets wasted in the middle of the pot due to how roots grow kinda like a wind-blown hourglass. I’m really interested in how sharp edged pots compare to round pots for a plant’s root system. I’d love to see a comparison of square vs round root systems for potted plants. I think it’d be cool. Have u done this before? Has anyone? I’d like to see it.

27. im new to container gardening and house plants. Thank goodness i did this with only one pot. HA. I live in the desert so over watering is not really an issue, stuff dries out pretty quick.=, but some of the plants i have repotted from friends the dirt smelt sour. But I am growing jasmine and other plants I will be bringing in this winter. Thank you so much. I had been been putting a rock layer in the bottom. And I do use the best potting soil.

28. This misconception derives from the Victorian practice of 'crocking' , where a convex potsherd or two was placed above the single large hole typically found in hand-thrown terracotta pots. The sole function of crocking was preventing soil wash-out, and the practice should have faded into oblivion in the 1960's, when it was made redundant by the advent of mass-produced pots and non-soil based growing media. Sadly, without understanding the original purpose, Joe Public felt the need to perpetuate the practice, hence the soggy, saturated zones- effectively the containerised equivalent of perched water tables- above layers of random rubbish that I still routinely encounter in my clients' pots. That such a demonstrably bad practice has survived to the present is beyond me: hopefully your instructive video will help consign it to the dustbin of history, where it belongs.

29. I don’t agree. Moreover, with your method dirt will continuously drain out of the pot.

30. Trish Craig says:

I use a very thin layer of mulch in the bottom and it's to stop the soil from at first washing out then plugging the holes. No problems

31. I use gravel to weigh the pot down. The potting soil isn’t heavy enough to keep some pots from tipping over, depending on the type of plant

32. vonries says:

I always used a rock in the bottom to help plug the hole a little so my sand doesn't drain out if I pick you the pot while it's still draining water.

33. Gavin Paull says:

I personally use large rocks at the bottom to keep the dirt from coming out of the bottom

34. Treeofwysdm says:

A lot of folks sure are bristling at what you're saying, but it makes total sense to me. My mother was a master gardener (as far as I'm concerned) and I don't remember her EVER doing all that extra nonsense. Instead she just made sure her pots had good drainage and watered them appropriately.

35. Are you related to Marcio Barbosa?

36. ben schram says:

Yeh I do this for big massive pots for my dwarf fruit trees. Here in Australia we need to retain as much water as possible in the summer months and I rarely ever have to water in winter

37. Eagerphill says:

I have used expanded clay in the bottom with drainage holes + a little extra perlite in some sunshine 4 and that has been my house plant win.

38. Apparently I’ve never thought that habit was to eliminate overwatering. My grandmother always put a shard of a broken pot over the drainage hole to slow potting soil from being lost while the water is running through. The shard placed in a curve over the hole allowed for plenty drainage. Once established the soil pretty much stabilized and was no longer an issue, but the shard didn’t cause any issues, so.. So I do it too. Her plants were amazing.

39. I just use a thin layer of gravel to keep my soil from falling through the drainage holes.